By Jemma Wards, Medical Herbalist
The incredible nature of our different body systems function as a complex orchestral event. Our immune system works closely with the nervous system, the digestive system, and the endocrine system. Regulating our ability to manage infection and benefit from our body’s natural recovery processes.
As a Medical Herbalist I offer a multifaceted approach to health, addressing system dysfunction and offering herbal support. I encourage nature immersion, physical exercise, adequate sleep and nutritional support to access superior states of health and wellbeing.
Here are three of my favourite herbs that I use in my apothecary. They modulate the body’s immune function and can be used within appropriate safety protocols.
Echinacea angustifolia/& Echinacea purpurea, Withania somnifera/Ashwaganda and Eleutherococcus senticosus/Siberian ginseng
They modulate the body’s immune function and can be used within appropriate safety protocols.
Ways to improve your immune function:
- Moderate exercise in nature daily – this will improve immune function particularly if you breath in the fresh air.
- Stress management – discover an approach that works for you. Some of my favourite ways to manage stress are Yoga Nidra, Foraging and wild swimming.
- Improve sleep – when asleep our bodies produce small proteins called cytokines, which are vital for the body’s ability to generate an appropriate immune response.
- Increase your Vitamin D levels naturally, with conscientious daily sun exposure.
- Eat a rainbow a day of unrefined wholefoods, rich phytonutrients in vitamins and minerals strengthening and supporting your immune system organically.
By Jemma Ward Medical Herbalist, MNIMH, MAMH.